Re: Friction

Are you using a block of wood straight from the mill? I had a similar
problem with an experiment until one student who worked in a lumber mill
pointed out that the grain is different for the different faces. Also (at
his mill) the finishing process used on the bigest area of the block is
different than the finishing process on the side or end of the block. I
solved the problem by using a electric sander and 100 (may have been 220)
grit paper on all surfaces. I find that I have to repeat the sanding every
couple of years for good results.

John DaCorte <jdacorte@mdihs.u98.k12.me.us> on 10/29/98 07:53:43 AM

Please respond to phys-l@mailer.uwf.edu