Re: Solution to a problem!!

John Mallinckrodt ended his critical remark with:

Is this a convincing argument?
Well ....
John

I agree with John that part 1 of my short message was confusing. But
part 2 (see below) does not depend on this confusion. Is the "proof"
of part 2 sufficiently convincing? I was trying to show that the
solution
we found is not limited to the "fixed angle" strategy. I will think more

about this after the class.
Ludwik Kowalski

2) Our problem can be analyzed in a similar way. The rowing
velocity (in the shore's frame of reference) for any chosen
"fixed angle" is a straight line. We already know where the boy
should reach the shore to yield the shortest time (for the fixed
angle strategy). Then he runs toward the girl along the shore.
This defines a right triangle ABC, where A is the starting point
for the boat, B is the landing point, and C is where the girl is
waiting. (Please make a drawing to follow my logic.)

The reduction of time (from what we have already calculated)
is impossible if the boat turns to the right from AB because
both rowing and running become longer. But suppose it turns
left and lands at a point D which is closer to C than B (keep
drawing). Can the overall time be shorten in this way? Not
at all. Let me prove this by "the reduction to absurdum".

Suppose that the overall ADC time becomes shorter than ABC.
Note than AD is now a curved line. Then the new time T' must
be compared with the ADC time T" for which AD is a straight
segment. Clearly T" must be shorter than T' (look at your
drawing). But this would contradict our previous finding
according to which the ABC time is shorter than the time
along the sides of any other right triangle.