Re:apples and oranges

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Barlow Newbolt wrote:

I think we need to say that the study of multiplication as
repeated multiplication may be useful at some level in the
learning process, but at some point we need to mature to
learn what multiplication really is. WBN

Or, as most people do, avoid the entire issue and learn how to *use* the
concept without concerning ourselves about what it "really is".

There are few of us who truely understand what multiplication "really is",
yet we all use the concept every day. Which is one of the reasons many
"real mathematicians" talk about physicists the same way many "real
physicists" talk about engineers: unclean heathen perverters of the
purity of the true faith who use concepts in a quick-and-dirty way without
bothering to understand all the details of what "really is" :-)

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright
Physics, Physical Science, Internet Teacher
Charlotte High School, 378 State Street, Charlotte MI 48813
<physics@scnc.cps.k12.mi.us> or <science@scnc.cps.k12.mi.us>