From: David Bowman <dbowman@tiger.georgetowncollege.edu>
To: phys-l <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Cc: dbowman@tiger.georgetowncollege.edu
<dbowman@tiger.georgetowncollege.edu>
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 1998 12:51 PM
Subject: Re: Solution to a problem!!

So far I haven't yet seen anyone comment on the general solution to this
problem for arbitrary values of the problem's parameter's. Therefore I
thought I would make such comments.

Let v_s == J's sprinting speed.
Let v_r == J's rowing speed relative to the a frame for which the water
is
at rest.
Let v_w == the water's speed of the river.
Let W == the width of the river.
Let T_0 == W/v_s = a characteristic "time" for the problem.
Let r == v_w/v_r.
Let s == v_s/v_r.
Let u == sine of the heading angle upstream of straight across the
river.
Let t_1 == time interval for J to row across the river.
Let t_2 == time interval for J to sprint along the far shore of the
river
to the apparition.
Let t_t == t_1 + t_2 = total time interval for J's trip starting from
the
moment of J's entry into the boat.

Using these definitions we can get expressions for t_1 & t_2 as:

t_1 = T_0*s/sqrt(1 - u^2) & t_2 = T_0*|r - u|/sqrt(1 - u^2).
. . .
David Bowman
dbowman@georgetowncollege.edu