Re: Solution to a problem!!

So far I haven't yet seen anyone comment on the general solution to this
problem for arbitrary values of the problem's parameter's. Therefore I
thought I would make such comments.

Let v_s == J's sprinting speed.
Let v_r == J's rowing speed relative to the a frame for which the water is
at rest.
Let v_w == the water's speed of the river.
Let W == the width of the river.
Let T_0 == W/v_s = a characteristic "time" for the problem.
Let r == v_w/v_r.
Let s == v_s/v_r.
Let u == sine of the heading angle upstream of straight across the river.
Let t_1 == time interval for J to row across the river.
Let t_2 == time interval for J to sprint along the far shore of the river
to the apparition.
Let t_t == t_1 + t_2 = total time interval for J's trip starting from the
moment of J's entry into the boat.

Using these definitions we can get expressions for t_1 & t_2 as:

t_1 = T_0*s/sqrt(1 - u^2) & t_2 = T_0*|r - u|/sqrt(1 - u^2).

Combining these expressions to find t_t gives:

t_t = T_0*(|r - u| + s)/sqrt(1 - u^2) .

This expression is to be minimized wrt u for -1 <= u <= 1. The solution
formula for u which minimizes this expression depends crucially on the
value of the rowing speed v_r. For sufficiently low values of v_r, i.e.
so low that r*(r + s) >= 1 or equivalently, r >= sqrt(1 + (s/2)^2) - s/2),
then the (sine of the) heading for minimal t_t is given by:

u = 1/(r + s),

and the minimal t_t value is:

t_min = T_0*sqrt((r + s)^2 - 1).

OTOH, if the rowing speed v_r is so large that r*(r + s) <= 1 or
equivalently r <= sqrt(1 + (s/2)^2) - s/2, then the (sine of the) heading
for minimal t_t is given by:

u = r,

and the minimal t_t value is:

t_min = T_0*s/sqrt(1 - r^2)

It should be noted that the minimal value in the first case occurs where
the derivative of t_t wrt u vanishs, but in the second case the minimal
value occurs at the cusp singularity of an absolute value function where
the derivative has a jump discontinuity (from negative to positive) and
the second derivative effectively has a positive infinite value. Also,
in this second case the rowing speed is so great that J only needs to
head upstream at whatever angle is necessary so that he/she goes straight
across the river with no sprinting required.

For the special case of the parameters given by James Harris we have:
r = (4 km/h)/(6 km/h) = 2/3
s = (10 km/h)/(6 km/h) = 5/3
T_0 = (1 km)/(10 km/h) = (1/10) h.

Since r*(r + s) = (2/3)*(2/3 + 5/3) = 14/9 > 1 we see that the parameters
are in the regime of the first case solution. This means that the heading
angle is:

arcsin(u) = arcsin(1/(2/3 + 5/3)) = arcsin(3/7) ~= 25.4 deg.

The minimal t_t value is therefore:

t_min = (1/10 h)*(sqrt((2/3 + 5/3)^2 -1) = (2/3)*sqrt(10)/10 h =
~= 0.211 h = 12.6 min.

I, too, think this problem is a good one.

David Bowman
dbowman@georgetowncollege.edu