RE: Learning from simulations

Many of us use screwdrivers to open paint cans. And we teach all who
observe us that that is an appropriate use of a screwdriver.

I think the same holds true with *any* tool, including those we use for
teaching. I would contend that the misuse of demonstrations is similar,
and computer simulations open a plethora of misuses. Hestenes point needs
to be written on the forhead of anyone using simulations. Karl

Hestenes said,
The greatest deficiency of simulation software like INTERACTIVE
PHYSICS is that it fails to explicate (i.e., make explicit) the
structure
of the underlying model that generates the computer animations.

Well, I guess that leaves a little bit for us teacher-types to
add.....

Exactly. I don't see this as a deficiency of Interactive Physics at all. IP is
just one tool of many. One good strategy is to start with a simulation done in
IP, then work out the model in Modellus. Modellus, a
graphing/animation/modeling program also published by Knowledge Revolution,
lets you start from the differential equations of motion. I think that might
satisfy David.

JEG

John E. Gastineau john@gastineau.org KC8IEW
900 B Ridgeway Ave. http://gastineau.home.mindspring.com
Morgantown WV 26505 (304) 296-1966 voice (304) 296-5035 fax
USA

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081