Re: Hearing problem

I should have known better than to use the word absolutely. There are some
changes of course. However these are minimal and most changes tend to
benefit all students. Perhaps I was unclearn about the moving question.
There is nothing wrong with changing position. However talking while
moving can be disruptive to ALL students. I do all of the things you
mention, computer simulations, demonstrations, blackboard work, walking
into the class to wake up specific students. I still do all of those things
even with a hearing impared students present. I can not see that stopping
and facing the class after moving has any effect on style except to make
yourself more understandable. As to size of room again from personal
experience there is no effect. I have had one class of 24 students in a
room designed for 18 ( construction that semester everyone was jammed up)
The signer did not distract or get in the way. In a classroom situation
the signer sits beside the podium at the same level as the students, facing
the class and signs to the student who is in the front row. Since the
signer is sitting and the instructor standing the line of sight of any
student is not interfered with any more than in a standard class setting.
People who sign for a living have a set of professional guidelines one of
which is to be as unobtrusive as possible. As I indicates earlier by the
end of the second week of classe the signer was considered another class
member not a distraction.

"Rick Tarara" <rbtarara@sprynet.com> on 10/21/98 09:11:48 PM

Please respond to phys-l@mailer.uwf.edu