Pieces of string too small to use. . .

There is a story in our community of someone finding among the personal =
effects of a deceased sister a box labelled "pieces of string too small to =
use." The windows of our 110-year old house are being replaced, and I =
have in true nunnish tradition, glommed onto 15 antique sash weights. If =
you were me, to what pedagogical use could you put these 1.5 inch =
diameter, foot-long hunks of iron? =20

Margaret J. Clarke, OSB
Physics Department
College of St. Scholastica