Re: IONS/metal pedagogy

If your are asking for a satisfactory model for the work function, you
are asking for alot. I think there is one that works, and it is a QM
one. Part of the problem is that since it is a thermodynamic quantity it
really is only an average, and devices like the STM are looking so
locally that the work function begins to have less and less meaning
mechanistically.

cheers