Re: IONS/metal pedagogy

Hi Bob,

----------
You wrote
The problem is that this raises a perhaps much more
serious problem. If the excess charge on a conducting surface is in
equilibrium under only electrostatic forces, then Gauss' law is in
trouble. Again - what do we give up? Is not the internal field zero?
must not a negative surface charge terminate a field line from the
outside? Something of the classical model of a conductor and its surface
must give. (And this might be the way to go!)

I am probably missing something but I can't see that Gauss' law is in
trouble.
As I suggested yesterday and Joseph covered in much more detail today (times
are Australian) the surface charges can be in equilibrium under
electrostatic forces alone as a result of a (small) relocation of electrons
in the metal.
The internal field will be zero. Agree, because a static situation has been
set up.
There will be field lines terminating on the charges on the surface. Agree,
because there will be a field outside the metal.
But why is Gauss' law in trouble? What am I missing?

Brian McInnes