Re: Heating tape

How about using a cathetometer?? Old, but still good.

I like the laser interference technique mentioned by someone else. That's
just too cool, but perhaps not too cool pedagogically.

Sam

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

On Fri, 09 Oct 1998 11:12:16 -0500 "Tim Folkerts"
<tfolkert@bigcat.fhsu.edu> >

Why not use a hollow tube and run water through it? . The
temperature can be changed within seconds by turning on the other tap!
If my
rough estimates are right, even with tap water at 140F = 60C and
68F=20C, a one meter tube would expand about (1 m)(0.000025/C)(40 C) = 1
mm, which you can easily measure with your favorite technique.

Very good thought but-----

1) Most schools do not have running hot tap water in addition to the cold
tap water at their lab and demo tables.

2) It is doubtful that you could measure a short distance of 1 mm with an
error of 10% or less with your "favorite technique". However if you have
time to try this with your 1 meter long pipes of brass, copper, iron,
aluminum and ??? I would be very interested in the results.

This would make another good student investigation!

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we are "from Missouri" when it comes to doubting)