Re: IONS/metals pedagogy

Hi Ludwig,

First, re: Earnshaw - I couldn't find a lot, but his paper was dated
1842. Scott's E&M text (in a footnote) says Maxwell applied the theorem
to "forces on charged conductors" (article 116 of the Dover edition) I
don't have a copy (Maxwell), do you? I will consult a library copy asap.
I can only suppose that the short-lived raisin pudding Thompson atomic
model had Earnshaw (or its equivalent) in mind. Scott gives another ref
(which I have yet to see): "Who Was Earnshaw?", AJP 27,418-19 (1959).

Also, read Article 192 of Jeans' book (on Earnshaw) - his final "small
print" note is an interesting speculation on the stability of matter in
spite of Earnshaw! (I won't comment till you read it for yourself.)

I really don't have any compunction about referring to conclusions "yet
to be proven/studied" in my teaching. I don't think the logical
structure of our sciences/curricula are (or can be made) linear enough
that this can be avoided. Certainly this can be abused. . . . Gotta
run - we'll argue this one later :)

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)