Re: a question from an AP Chem student...

When playing Solitaire on the computer, one might read the Help topics to find
out the rules, or simply start playing the game. However, one would probably
understand the rules better if they did play the game.

When playing the game, one finds that there are allowed states and not allowed
states. A red queen is allowed on a black king, but not on a red king. Why?
How does the red queen know that the black king is there? I personally don't
think the queen or king know anything. There is an overlap in there positions
and times and when this occurs, the state of the red queen on the black king
is allowed. It is a state of the game that is allowed.

Why? If one could talk to the creator of Solitaire, they might ask this
question. Perhaps the creator might say, "I did originally allow the black
queens on the black kings. The game looked bland. Over a cup of coffee one
morning I decided to allow only the red queens on the black kings because it
made the game more colorful."

Now it may be a significant task to model Solitaire with a single mathematical
equation and may involve advanced math. But one can still enjoy the game and
understand the allowed and not allowed states of the game with conditional
statements.

A lover of the game,

Bob Carlson