Re: Radius of the earth

Eratosthenes (200 BCE) got an answer of 250,000 Stadia or 42,000 km.
He was an astronomer from Alexandria in the Hellenistic Egypt of the
Ptolemies.

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 KUGELGEN@aol.com wrote:

Hello all,

Can anyone out there remember who first measured the radius of the earth?
An Egyptian, a Greek? What was his/her name?
(I'm working with a teacher in another city (due north), measuring solar
angles
and calculating the Earth's radius)

If the answer does not appear on the list, I'll post it for those who might be
interested.

Thanks in advance,

Owen