From: William Beaty <billb@eskimo.com>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Monday, October 05, 1998 2:22 AM
Subject: Re: definition of "electrostatic"

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Does "electrostatics" refer to fixed distributions of charge
(that is, every charge source is glued in place, if you
will) or that there is no time dependence to the
distribution?

I think we have been using "electrostatics" to refer to a time
independent situation, however it is achieved.

Or perhaps it also refers to situations where time is ignored. If we
look
only at charge distributions and potential, while ignoring magnetism and
EM radiation, then that is "electrostatics", even if it is a snapshot of
dynamic situation. Analogy: Newtonian "Statics" applies to dynamic
situations when we look at a single "frozen" time-slice.

)))
William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST
website
billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits science projects, tesla, weird
science
Seattle, WA 206-781-3320 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L
webhead-L