Re: When and How Strong?

Suzanne Willis

posted a good URL to learn about most recent findings
in the area of physics of fundamental particles. Thanks.
I was browsing there and learned that:

"Weak interactions are responsible for the fact that all the
more massive quarks and leptons decay to produce lighter
quarks and leptons. When a particle decays, it disappears
and in its place two or more particles appear. The sum of
the masses of the produced particles is always less than the
mass of the original particle. This is why stable matter
around us contains only electrons and the lightest two
quarks (up and down.)"

What I was looking for, and not found, was the answer to
the following questions. Are weak forces (for example
between two electrons) attractive or repulsive? Can they
be quantified in terms of usual force units, newtons? If
I had the answers I would speculate about a possibility
that weak forces are responsible (SOMEHOW ?) for the
"glue" which keeps extra electrons on metallic surfaces.

Strong nuclear (residual) forces between nucleons are
attractive at longer distances and repulsive at very short
distances (Pauli said two fermions can not share a cell
in a phase space). And they can be expressed in newtons
when the potential which describes the interaction is
numerically specified at several distances. What about
week forces between our ordinary electrons?

Ludwik Kowalski