RE: When and How Strong?

Brian writes:

Suzanne here describes force ratios between em and strong force.
I read that there are particles insensitive to the strong force -
to these, I suppose the strong force would be no force: this is
the group of leptons which includes the electron, muon, tau, their
neutrinos and all of their antiparticles (12 in all)

--

Yes, exactly. The charged leptons (e, mu tau) interact
electromagnetically, but the neutrinos interact only weakly; this

Then Brian writes:

It is Yukawa's proposition that we can explain the range of force
carriers by means of their energy or mass.
I take it that this is an implication of the idea that mass or energy,
and range or velocity or lifetime are connected for hypothetical
particles like these force carriers.

--

It's the uncertainty principle - the creation of the intermediate
particle violates the conservation of energy (unless it's massless)

Brian again (sorry, I am dealing with a combination of editor and
ISP that don't get along too well here!):

The exchange carrier of em, the
photon is 'massless' and so has infinite range.

The moderately heavy meson limits the range of the strong nuclear force.

The exchange carrier of the weak force is described as the intermediate
(or mediating) vector (or unit) boson, a creation of Yukawa's.
The weak nuclear force has an even shorter range than the others, so its
carrier, or intermediate vector boson (of three kinds, W+, W-, and Zero)
is a heavier particle type.

--

Right, the W and Z have masses roughly 100 times that of the
proton, so the range is very short (and the probability of

Sue Willis

Suzanne Willis, Professor, Physics Department
Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115 USA
http://niuhep.physics.niu.edu/~willis/ swillis@niu.edu
phone: 815-753-0667 fax: 815-753-8565