Re: Ions on metals (not realy, but close)

But Bill?
Without knowing the details, all I can say is that the outside-fed
machine will work, but cannot be charged to the same potential as its
inside -fed machine, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL. Now you must fess up -
what things were not equal? Or maybe neither machine was pushed to its
limit -- maybe leakage was the limiting factor on both.

Theory ( and published experiment) says : if leakage is not the
limiting factor, the inside-fed machine will win. ( There is no reason
for outside-fed (positive) charges to migrate onto a conductor of already
higher potential than their present environment; in fact they will be
repelled!)

I think the devil is in the details of your experiment; let's uncover
them.
-Bob

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)