Re: IONS on metals/dielectrics & other scary things

In his excellent message about Van de Graffs,
Sam Sampere wrote:
I think I answered this earlier, the air gets ionized. The inside of the
ball is essentially ground, charges move to ground then to the outer surface
of the dome.

I think you meant to say that the inside of the ball is essentially field
free. The inside of the ball will be at the same potential as the outside
of the ball, as will be the top of the belt, and also the charges on the
top of the belt (thanks to the work done by the motor).

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu