Re: IONS on metals/dielectrics

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

It's worse than you say! Classical physics can't make a stable atom, let
alone a solid piece of material (out of electrodynamic forces). Maxwell
would have the orbiting electrons radiate away their energy and spiral
into the nucleus.

A very appropriate reminder. In my mind this paradox was the
problem with the most advanced part of e.m. (radiation of waves
into space). Simple electrostatics, I was thinking, has no such
paradoxes and is explainable in terms of classical physics.