IONS, philospohy

Quoted below is a private message I received this morning.
By the way, why was it addressed to me rather that to phys-L?

In any case, it reminds of another old thread, the "nature
of explanations". Not everything can be explained in terms
of something more fundamental in physics. Some basic
phenomena, like axioms in mathematics, must be accepted
and described (on the basis of observations and clever
measurements). Then we use them to EXPLAIN other things.

Production of measurable B fields by moving charges is
one of such phenomena. An Aristotelian physicist would
say "it is in the nature of current to produce magnetic field".
S/he would also say that the non conductivity of dielectrics
is "in the nature of these substances". But this brings an
important question. How many axioms can we have
without becoming non-scientific factologists? Let a
philosopher answer this question.

Recognizing facts is one thing, constructing logical
structures is another. Physics consists of logical
structures, it begins with data and it generates self-
consistent theories. Which items should be used as
basic (no explanations needed) is a matter of agreement
among practitioners. Explanations are logical (verbal
and mathematical) structures.

It was under the impression that the non-conductivity of
dielectrics can be explained. It used to be merely accepted
by Gilbert, du Fay and Franklin. But I do not know how to
explain it. According to my conceptual model (of mutual
repulsion of like charges to minimize potential energy)
all substances should conduct electricity. There is a conflict
in my mind. That is why all those messages on the IONS
thread were posted. I suspect that I am not the only one who
is waiting for helpful suggestions. Please contribute; it is not
good when only one person is pushing a thread.

Ludwik Kowalski

On September 27, xxx wrote:

A very a simple question for which I have been looking
for an answer, and have been looking for a long time:

Why does an electron produces a magnetic field when it
moves from point A to point B? .... I enjoy the privilege of
using this phenomenon every day of my life, and it really
frustrates me that there seems to be no common sense
explanation that I can find. I keep searching in order that
I can explain it to my students.

Now, I simply shrug my shoulders and say "God made it
that way". I seem to be doing that a lot nowadays.