Re: Smiley Faces!

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 06:51:22 -0500 brian whatcott said:

I wonder how limestone would hold up as a mineral if so defined
(as inorganic in origin) ...

Actually, limestone doesn't hold up as a mineral at all. It is a rock, which
is in turn composed of minerals. The principle mineral in limestone is
calcite, CaCO3, which may or may not be organic in origin. Since some calcite
clearly meets the definition I've never seen anyone try to split hairs and
say that some calcite doesn't count.

However, I'll bet we have a minerals tax on limestone too, so to the legislatur
I'm sure it is a mineral.