IONS in metals

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

I don't think the "ultimate" question is answerable within
Maxwellian electrodynamics. Recall Earnshaw's theorem.

I am not sure but I think that Bob is referring to a mathematical
proof that "electric forces alone can not produce a confined stable
configuration of charges". Can somebody quote the theoreme as
it is actually stated?

Consider an electrified metallic sphere. Charges are distributed
over the surface. The configuration is stable. What non-electric
forces play a significant role in confining charges in this case?
Textbooks often say that forces in our environment are either
electric (ultimately) or gravitational? What forces are resposible
for the "work function" in metals?

I am assuming it is OK to call electrons ions; separating
electrons from neutral atoms (ionization) creates two ions.

Ludwik
Kowalski