RE: Supplementary S.I. units

I personally don't have a very strong opinion about whether or not angles
should be considered to have their own (engineering) dimension. I would
have a slight preference to keep angles dimensionless, since (being a
theorist) I think there are too many needless dimensions for physical
quantities as it is, and I would not want to make the situation worse. :)

Regarding where Donald wrote:
I also note that to write 1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds is improper, because the
equation is inhomogenous and is not coherent with respect to units and
dimensions. We should avoid equating apples and oranges unless we are only
interested in "the number of pieces of fruit". We should say, "A one
kiolgram *mass* at the earth's surface *weighs* 2.2 pounds." Even that
needs more precision of language.

To help confuse the issue let me point out that according to the NIST's
Special Publication 811 the avoirdupois pound is defined to be *exactly*
0.45359237 kg of *mass*. A 1 pound force (lbf) is the weight of a
1 lb mass in a standard gravitational field. *If* this standard field
strength is taken as the 'official' value of 9.80665 m/s^2 then a 1 lbf
corresponds to *exactly* 4.44482216152605 N of force.

David Bowman
dbowman@georgetowncollege.edu