Re: IONS

Put a light bulb in a ceramic socket.

Turn on the lamp.

Break the glass envelope with a hammer.

Apply a propane torch to the part of the glass supporting the internal
wires until it glows.

Remove the flame, and wait to see if it cools.

Uno problemo: all light bulbs are fused these days: the hot lead-in wire (the
one soldered to the button) is made of fuse wire material. This stuff
wants to melt readily by intentional design. This fuse protects your home
from burning down if the filament arcs, and protects the GE or Sylvania
shareholders as well :^). Heating as you describe will likely melt this.

I believe this fuze is required by law since 1974 for certain classes of bulbs;
my reference is away being copied right now and I can confirm this later
if anyone cares. The fuse is real, I just can't confirm the date/bulb classes.
Look at a bulb and see for yourself.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac