supplementary S.I. units

I was intrigued by a note in this month's (September) issue of AJP (vol.
66, No. 9, page 814) which referred to a previous article from July last
year (AJP, vol. 65, No. 7, pages 605-614) about making radians a real (base
S.I.) unit rather than a supplementary unit. I would like reaction from
you brilliant people about the whole idea (I'm quite attracted to the
notion that "radain units need never be spuriously inserted or deleted"),
but also in particular to the comment in the note that "we usually forget
that areas and length squared, or volumes and length cubed, are not the
same thing." I thought that was the whole reason we use meter cubed for
the S.I. unit of volume instead of the liter.

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment,
Larry

Larry K. Smith phone: (435) 283-7520 | Not everything that counts
Dept. of Physics fax: (435) 283-7501 | can be counted; and not
Snow College mailto:Larry.Smith@snow.edu | everything that can be
150 College Ave. http://iac.snow.edu/LSmith | counted counts.
Ephraim, UT 84627 USA | Albert Einstein