Re: ions

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

A grain of salt (pure crystal in dry air) is turned
into very fine powder. Each powder particle is a
neutral molecule NaCl. We put this powder into
a glass of water and all molecules are ionized. Why?

Ludwik Kowalski

TEchnically, there is no such thing as a molecule of NaCl, because
molecules are compounds with covalent bonding. The bonding in NaCl is
ionic and the NaCl exists as ion pairs in the crystalline structure. Upon
dissolving in water, dissociation occurs, not ionization. The ions were
already there. Molecules which are covalently bonded such as HCl ionize
upon dissolving in water.
Sorry, but the chemist in me had to comment on this.
Patti Mason
Delphi High School
Delphi, IN