Re: air blowing out of an old mine

Near my brother's house in Tonopah, NV, is an entrance to an old mine from
which a strong stream of air exits. I tried to tell him that it must blow
out in the daytime and in at night as the mine "breathes" due to
temperature fluctuations. But the fact is it blows out all the time! He
says there are miles of interconnected tunnels and his opening is probably
at highest elevation. What's the explanation?
Crawford

There are many 'breathing' caves. The one I know best is near Williamsville
VA. It's breathing is NOT a day/night temperature thing. Someone described
it as a Helmholtz resonator effect but I don't have measurements of
internal volume and connecting 'neck' dimensions to back it up.

I did visit a cave in Tennessee that had your 'constant' flow. In at the
lower entrance and 'out' at the upper end. Perhaps it is related to prairie
dog tunnel ventilation?? I seem to remember a SciAm article on such within
the last 30 - 40 years. ;-)

It's no accident that stressed Chuck Britton
spelled backwards is desserts. britton@odie.ncssm.edu