RE: Re Netscape SOS

We're well away from physics in this thread, but we all have to run browsers
these days. Let me add my two cents to a few of these suggestions regarding
the MacOS.

The private message below, about NETSCAPE, was received this
morning. I think it is worth sharing.

2. Turn off Fake RAM (VIRTUAL MEMORY, RamDoubler, OptiMem)

Bad idea. If this solves the problem, then the application is badly written or
is very old, and you shouldn't use it. The MacOS manages memory much more
efficiently if virtual memory is on. Many applications will take up more
memory with virtual memory off; for example, Excel 98 has a minimum memory
requirement of 3072K with VM on. With VM off the minimum requirement is about
7100K. So, turning off VM hits your ram requirements twice. Unless you've got
tons of ram (more than 128MB?), leave VM on.

4. Turn off MODERN MEMERY MANAGER with system 7.5.3 or lower.

Same comments as for #2.

6. Trash the Netscape Preferences

That is, throw away the Netscape Prefs file. This should be one of the first
things to try, but be sure to record the various settings in Preferences
before you do so.

I had Netscape crashing repeatedly on my Mac, and found that throwing away the
prefs file would take care of the problem.

Unfortunately, I had to keep doing so every few weeks. After switching to
Internet Explorer, I've had no more problems. IE seems to be considerably more
stable, at least in my experience.

JEG

John E. Gastineau john@gastineau.org KC8IEW
900 B Ridgeway Ave. http://gastineau.home.mindspring.com
Morgantown WV 26505 (304) 296-1966 voice (304) 296-5035 fax
USA