Re:Sparks (and ions)

REPOSTING. IT CAME BUTCHERED ON MY MESSENGER

Ed Schweber wrote:

... Having started this thread perhaps I can have the temerity to
chime in for a third time. .....

.... I agree with James, there seems to be no clear path that an
ion can follow from foot to finger. The ion might diffuse through
some membranes, but that would take a long time (although its also
clear that I originally used electron flow far too loosely). ....

I find all contributions to this thread be highly interesting and
informing. Here is a question. The distance between the battery and
the light ball is L. The ideal switch at the battery end (switching
time
is zero) is turned on. At some later time t1 current starts flowing
through the lightball. We think that t1 is the time during which the
electric field propagates along wires.

The wires are replaced by plexiglas tubes fulled with an electrolyte,
for example, a solution of NaCl or of an acid. Will the time t1
become longer?
Ludwik Kowalski