Re: Sparks - an experimental approach.

At 11:52 9/5/98 +0100, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
... Partial vacuum at low E (when Ohm's
law is applicable) is a better insulator than dry air under normal P. I am
assuming that free charges are due to cosmic rays only. We are referring
to different conditions, low E and high E. Sparking, of course, happens at
high E.

Well, well, well!
Rather than getting hot and righteous, this offers me the perfect
opportunity to demonstrate the superiority of the scientific method
over testosterone:

Take a low voltage filament lamp and break the glass bulb.
Mount it in a bell-jar, mason-jar or some such with an adjacent anode;
the three electrodes are led through the lid along with an airline.

For a modest pressure reduction provided by a salvaged compressor
from a domestic fridge (or perhaps you have access to lab vacuum?)
measure the anode current in the microamp range with the filament
glowing faint-red, the anode held at say nine volts and the
vacuum varied.

I fancy one will need to consider factors other than cosmic rays.

Ah, but I hear you say, this is 'thermionic' emission.
Might you then replace the filament with a sharp point?

But *I* am not the one who should be convinced, rather the teachers
of the up and comers...

Best Wishes

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>