MRI and gadolinium

I went to an orthopedic surgeon today about chronic back pain and as
expected he ordered an MRI of my spine. However, unlike other MRI's I
have had ordered, he specifically wrote with gadolinium on the Rx form. I
didn't think to ask him about it and got curious on the drive back home.
Since the appt isn't for another week, I am curious to know about the
gadolinium. Is it something specifically added to the magnet, or around
my spine or???? I don't think it would be an injection.

If anyone has had any experience with this terminology, I'd appreciate
hearing from you. You may reply directly to me, if you think the rest of
the list might not be interested.
Thanks.
Patti Mason
pmason@wvec.k12.in.us