Writing project

This year in our high school I'm to include a writing research component
to my physics classes. I wanted a series of short activities where
students research a topic and do a short write up or presentation. I
wanted four small activities followed by a big research paper.

Here is one of the ideas I had for a short paper.
Students could pick a physics /engineering subject such as "How surround
sound works." She would then write a 1 page, 3 column article with one
graphic. The article that will look as if it came from a magazine when
it was done.
The article would be a how it works type of article or if the topic
where a discovery, like Ben's insight into lightning experiment, the
article would report its ramifications as if the discovery happened
yesterday. The article would answer the basics questions of who, what,
where, when and how/why. It would also have reference 5 source only 2 of
which could be from the internet.

I NEED YOU HELP...
Do have any ideas for short interesting writing assignments that involve
research?
-tony

Tony
Wayne