RE: Nitpicking: gravity is not a force???

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
[mailto:owner-phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu]On Behalf Of Hugh Haskell

Clearly "g" is not the force of gravity. That is "mg." But neither is "g"
an acceleration,

This is an important point to make, so let me quote Hugh to emphasize it.

One twist that helps students is to NEVER use g = 9.8 m/s^2, but instead use g
= 9.8 N/kg. Those units are the same, but the N/kg version emphasizes that g
is really a constant of proportionality. I've been able to consistently do
this for the last few classes I taught, and students were, I think, very aware
of the correct role of g.

JEG