Re: Nitpicking: gravity is not a force???

At 9:31 PM -0500 8/8/98, Mervin Koehlinger wrote:

If we say that "there are four fundamental forces" is incorrect - what
do we propose to say instead? How about "there are four fundamental
sources of force"?
I would not say sources, I would say origins.(Unknown, as with gravitation)
All bodies are sources of force, it is intrinsic to the nature of
matter.Matter expels the knowledge of its existance creating interactions (
messages?) telling all its equals that he is there and is trying to
connect, and receive equal reactions as an acknowledgment interchange, like
us now. At least you need two of such bodies to start the force business,
like Tango.

What does it take to make a force? Answer: there must be an interaction
between two distinct objects. I would suggest that you can be confident
that you have a force if you can name the object that is exerting the
force and the object that experiences the effect of the force. If you
can't do that, you don't have a force...
Mervin
To be a bit more precise: Both objects share the SAME and only one
interaction, that is both objects experiences the effect of the "inter-
force"created between them in general, as a consequence of their"
proximity" and their similar nature.(You can always apply superposition if
you have extra interactions of various origins coming from the same bodies)

Jorge Trench