Re: Nitpicking: gravity is not a force???

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Lim Ai Phing wrote:

But sometimes I feel like a total failure because I don't know where did
I teach wrong that they get such misconceptions? How do you get
feedback on your teaching?

It's not usually what we teach. It's the way we use words that is often
misleading. They don't speak the same language that we do even though
they use the same words.

The feedback that I look for is their verbal explanations. I try to get
into their minds by asking questions that make them explain what they mean
when they use certain words. It usually becomes quickly apparent as they
are trying to explain a concept whether or not they truly understand or
they are just parroting words.

Mervin

Mervin Koehlinger
Physics Instructor