Re: PHYS-L Needs New Owner and New Home!!

It looks for once like I'm in the majority. I too vote for keeping
phys-l as e-mail. But Brother MacIsaac has a good idea: we can have
it both ways. Even though his college uses mailserv rather than
listserv, he seems to know how to describe the options. I nominate
him as chairman of the search committee to find a new phys-l owner.

poj

....it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. The expensive
listserv program (listserv, not mailserv etc) now has web HOOKS --
this means that it can be read EITHER way, archives can be accessed
EITHER way and subscribing/unsubscribing/etc can also be done EITHER
way -- via web pages or via email. A change to the right SW could
be transparent, or at least as transparent as mving from uwf to
somewheres else.

The problem is these fancy features have to be paid for -- listserv
is no longer free. Does anyone have personal experience with other
listserv- like programs that do both and are free or low cost? At
NAU we run mailserv, which is ugly and not-nice and does not do the
web side.

Dan M

I'm with Chuck. If Phys-L goes to the Web, I'll never see it again. I have
thousands of sites bookmarked and almost never go back to them, even the
ones I know I should because I know I'll get valuable new info from them.
There are just too many distractions, and getting the Phys-L postings
directly to my inbox, is the only way I could keep up with them, or
occasionally have somthing to contribute.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>

have to..