Re: Work done by Friction

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 07:33:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: Tim Burgess <tburgess@jaguar1.usouthal.edu>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
Cc: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
Subject: Work done by Friction

Hi!
I'm with a group of high school physics teachers. We are
in disarray.

Textbooks that we use commonly refer to the "work done by
friction"
in slowing the speed of objects. There are some who
think this approach is flawed. Others indicate that the
right answer is commonly obtained by treating such
friction as work.

Some would just ignore the textbook treatment and
indicate that
"work done by friction" is not the way to address the
energy "dissipated".

There are strong opinions present here. What is the
thoughts of
those of you on this list?

Tim

Wouldn't it be nice if we could handle all of these cases
with a simple "work done against friction" argument! I
generally think about these problems as follows:

I. If you have a system with no internal degrees of
freedom. One block (wood or metal) sliding on an
inclined plane you can generally talk about
the work done by the frictional force and
equate it to mechanical energy dissapated.

II. If your system has internal degrees of freedom
the situation gets much more complicated. With
a locomotive or a sports car it is much more
difficult to determine or even define the "work
done against friction" Analyzing a complicated system
this way is not very helpful and can be very
confusing -- as you have, no doubt, discovered.

WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

Neils Bohr