Re: law of conservation

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

. . .I thought that conserved quantites (energy)
had some significatly different properties than non-conserved quantities
(velocity.) . . .

Bill,
This statement may be vague enough to be true, depending on just what is
meant by "significantly different properties". Can you be specific as to
just what other connotations you necessarily include in the word
"conserved"?

Intentionally vauge, yes. I'm imagining a crude law: "conserved
quantities are substance-like." Put a surface around a volume, and the
conserved quantity within the volume must be invariant unless there is a
flux (time rate of transfer) through the surface. But where energy is
involved, thermodynamics makes me suspicious of any of this. Energy is
substance-like, but it is certainly not tangible, and certainly not like a
fuel.

To me, charge seems much more substance-like and so obeys my "law" above.
Yet it certainly is not tangible, and +- annihilation is bizarre, but it
still has extremely strong substance-like features. If you can violate
conservation and actually eliminate a bit of charge, where do the snipped
ends of the e-field flux go? :)

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb