Re: law of conservation

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Pardon my butting in, but this again emphasizes how we have mistaught the
energy concept. The question supposes that energy is a thing, a
substantive entity. You might as well ask: "where does the velocity of a
car go when it stops?"

I'm one of the mis-taught. I thought that conserved quantites (energy)
had some significatly different properties than non-conserved quantities
(velocity.) If energy in a closed system is constant, and the universe is
a closed system, yet energy within it is not constant, then it sounds like
energy is not a conserved quantity (except perhaps within SMALL closed
systems.)

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb