Re: email question (was The HTML Experiment)

Ron Ebert wrote:
The way I do it to keep track of things is to use my work computer as my
main archive storage medium. I place e-mails that I want to save in their
own mailboxes - e.g., I have one for this list I call Phys-L. At the end of
the week, I copy all my mailbox files, such as Phys-L.mbx and Phys-L.toc,
to diskettes and take them home to install on my home computer. This lets
me read them at home if I want to and also serves as a backup better than
most - a fire in my lab may trash my computer, but the copies are at a
different physical location.

When I want to pull mail off the campus server from home, I call in and get
them. After reading through them, all those I want to save I place in a
unique mailbox - UCR-Transfer. Sunday evening I copy ucr-tran.mbx and
ucr-tran.toc to a diskette and take them to work Monday morning. I copy
these files into my work computer's Eudora folder, and I then move the
e-mails to which ever mailboxes they belong on my work computer. Everything
is neat, tidy, in order, and nothing is ever left on my campus server.

This is interesting. I'd not realised this about Eudora.

I have a home account and a work account.
Work stuff goes to work. Home stuff to home.
If I want to work on work stuff at home I mail it to and fro with well
defined headers etc and a set of Subdirectories at each end.
Advantage: no diskettes
Disadvantages: I can remember a few times wishing I had file X at home.

How do others handle archiving, storing, saving interesting posts?
I maintain a file 'archive.txt' which opens at startup.
Into here I extract small paragraphs/bits of emails I'm interested in
and at times save the file inder a name.
eg. Constructivism References
But I regard the system as clumsy. I'd love a system where I could
extract parts of e-mails, concatanate mails into subject areras far more
efficiently. My mail directory has a section 'encylopedia' where I put
stuff under topics. But often I only want a one line reference to go
with 10 other one line references. Each from a different mail.
?? any suggestions?

Derek

--
Derek Chirnside d.chirnside@phys.canterbury.ac.nz
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Canterbury

Ph: +64 3 364 2987 Ext 7561
Fax: +64 3 364 2469
Home: DCandPC@netaccess.co.nz