Re[3]: My view of science and science teaching

On June 12, Leigh Palmer wrote:
[.........]

I tell the following story for which, alas, I can give no primary
reference citation, but it has always appealed to me. Newton gives,
in his *Principia* (which I have read neither in its original Latin
nor in translation), a set of Rules for Reasoning in Natural
Philosophy. Among these rules is what has come to be called the Law
of parsimony. Again, from very faulty memory, this law goes
something like "Nature does not that by many [mechanisms] which may
be done by few."

Just to amplify a bit on this, and to add some additional
information:

I have Motte's translation of Newton's Principia
(Berkeley: University of California Press, 1934).

On pp. 398-9 there is a section, "Rules of Reasoning in Philosophy."
Four rules are listed. I will list all of the rules, and the full
text for Rule I, which seems to be the "law of
parsimony."

Rule I: We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such
as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances.

To this purpose the philosophers say that Nature does nothing in
vain, and more is in vain when less will serve; for Nature is pleased
with simplicity, and affects not the pomp of superfluous causes.

Rule II: Therefore to the same natureal effects we must, as far as
possible, assign the same causes.

Rule III: The qualities of bodies, which admit neither
intensification nor remission of degrees, and which are found to
belong to all bodies within the reach of our experiments, are to be
esteemed the universal qualities of all bodies whatsoever.

Rule IV: In experimental philosophy we are to look upon propositions
inferred by general induction from phenomena as accurately or very
nearly true, notwithstanding any contrary hypotheses that may be
imagined, till such time as other phenomena occur, by which they may
either be made more accurate, or liable to exceptions.

Sincerely,
Steven Ratliff

Steven T. Ratliff
Associate Professor of Physics