Re[2]: My view of science and science teaching

I would call Kepler's laws factoids (leaving more profound factoids
to be called fundamental principles, or laws of Nature) and I would
teach them for their historical significance. In my opinion they
should not be taught as the ultimate topic in any course. Even if
no mathematics is done, it should always be emphasized that they
were superceded in the same century by Newton's laws, and that they
were observably discrepant even in Kepler's own time. I feel this
additional step is always necessary. The teaching of conceptual
planetary motion should not end with Kepler's laws.

Leigh

Even Newton's laws can be taught like factoids....'factoid' probably
describes the level of most students' understanding of Newton's laws,
even those who have completed a descriptive intro physics course.

Flipping the same token, Kepler's laws can be taught at a deeper level.
For example, the second law describes conservation of angular momentum,
and this can be demonstrated graphically. Moreover, with simplifying
assumptions and some basic physics, students can be shown how the 3rd law
can be used to derive Newton's law of gravitation.

Philip Zell
zell@act.org