Re: POLARIZATION

At 18:36 10/06/98 -0500, Brian Whatcott wrote:

To justify this bald assertion, I repeat that it is a fundamental
requirement of any helically polarized electromagnetic radiation (which is
often called circularly polarized) that it must be analyzable into two
orthogonally polarized components which differ in phase by a quarter wave
at the frequency of interest.

Conversely any linear polarization state can be treated as the
superposition of right and left circularly polarized components with the
correct phase difference.

So what is true at the photon level? According to Hecht's Optics, "... the
intrinsic or spin angular momentum of a photon is either - h-bar or +
h-bar, where the signs indicate right- or left-handedness, respectively."
(p. 276 Second Edition.

I've heard that the definition of right and left varies between physics and
electrical engineering, with the former judging it as it as the light
approaches and the latter as the light leaves. Any truth to this?

Dr. Vern Lindberg 716-475-2546
Department of Physics Fax 475-5766
85 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester Institute of Technology