Re: Questions types on HS Physics Tests

I am new to this list and have a need for some guidance about appropriate test
questions for HS physics tests. I'll ask the question now. If this is not
the best list, please give me an appropriate address and I'll go ask in the
right place.

The variety of student ability in our county's physics courses is really
large. One of my colleagues solves this problem by asking what he calls A-
level questions and C-level questions. He tells me that any of his students
can make a C on his tests if they study because of his C-level questions. He
designs the A-level questions for the more capable students. He says this
keeps his very bright students from getting lazy while the average students
spend the time necessary to assimilate the material.

Do any of you do this?

Asking tough questions is the easy part. Asking questions for the C-level
students that require them to think and analyze rather than just "plug and
chug" is harder for me. Any comments or suggestions?