Re: neutrino mass

Message text written by INTERNET:phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
It bothers me greatly to see this news media event. These guys aren't
announcing their result on the publication date; they're announcing
that they've submitted it to PRL!<

Leigh, they are giving a talk at a conference, thus "publishing" their
data.

I've seen claims that this discovery (if correct) "cooks" the Standard =

Model, or at least will force its modification, but my impression is that=
=

the Standard Model says nothing about neutrino masses and that =

they are set arbitrarily to zero just because that is the simplest
assumption.
But that any other (small) value would also be fine, so this result, albe=
it

very interesting, will not produce an improvement of the Standard Model.
Correct?

Bill Larson
Geneva