Snowflake symmetry

This list needs a new thread so ...

I wonder how many list members have ever thought about why *individual*
snowflakes should be so extremely symmetric at the same time that
*different* snowflakes can be so extremely different. We seem to take it
as a given that snowflakes should be symmetric because of the structure of
ice crystals, but does that fact really satisfy anyone? I've been
wondering about this for a little while and have done just enough "web
research" to partially satisfy my curiosity with a plausible explanation
(and also to learn that Leigh has a colleague who may be one of the
world's experts in this area.)

Anyway; submitted for your consideration and amusement. If anyone knows
more about this, I'd be interested in hearing. Maybe Leigh can trot down
the hall and get the straight dope ... er, I mean *ask* him about this ...
that is to say, ask his *colleague* *for* the straight dope. (Pheww!)

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223