Re: cooling water

At 09:06 6/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
The various references that have been given on this topic all lead to the
same ultimate conclusion. If you put _equal masses_ of hot and cold water
in the freezer, you will end up with a smaller mass of ice from the hot
water. Under the right conditions, this hot water may well freeze before
the cold, but to end up with equal masses of ice, then simple Calorimetry
will dictate that the hot source will take longer than the cold. To do
this, you'd have to start with more hot than cold since evaporation seems a
major component in the process.

So your experiment needs to precisely measure the masses both before and
after freezing.

rwt

Richard puts together a most interesting line of reasoning.
In my humble view his logic stumbles. But to make it interesting, now I
have pointed it out, I wonder if you can tell which is the faulty step
in the syllogism? (If you agree that there IS in fact an error...)

Regards
Brian Whatcott