Re: Physics is a human construct

Hi Charlie,

I am curious about your Mind & Machine course and the
text by J Searle. I did a search at Amazon.com and found about 1/2 doz
such books by Searle. Can you tell me the exact title of your text?
Who takes this course? What background do you require?

The exact title is: Minds, Brains, and Science. There are no prerequisites
for the course except natural experience with the world and with one's own
thoughts. The book is complete in itself. Searle, in the true
philosophical spirit, presents the ideas from scratch. In addition to
doing some careful thinking about what constitutes thinking, what, if any
thing, a mind is, what, if anything free will is, etc., I teach the course
in the spirit of skepticism of Searle's work. The students really do the
work. Ideas are not shoved down their throats.

Charlie

Charles A. Crummer, PhD
LD Physics Lab. Manager
(408)459-4154