Re: pressure vs. altitude

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 10:52:32 -0500
From: "Jason Powell" <fizzx@wi.net>
To: <PHYSHARE@lists.psu.edu>, <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>,
<PHYSLRNR@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU>, <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>,
<tap-l@listserv.appstate.edu>
Subject: pressure vs. altitude

Why is that when people learn your a physics head they
immediately start asking you questions? :-) At a local
high power rocket launch this weekend I was asked a
question that's got me stumped. A fellow is designing an
onboard computer for his rockets that has a pressure
sensor onboard. He wants to know how to turn his pressure
readings into altitude readings as the rocket is
accelerating up, decelerating up, and returning back to
earth via a chute. I know there is an answer to his
question because I have an onboard computer (that I
purchased) that uses an absolute pressure device.
According to the company it uses a logarithmic amp to
accurately measure the nonlinear pressure vs altitude
relationship. After sensing a rapid 300' change it begins
taking data and then captures max alt at the same time
triggering a switch to deploy a drogue chute. A second
trigger then fires at 600' (user selectable) for the main
chute. The only thing I can come up with is the old
P2=P1+(p)gh which assumes the density is the same for any
h and thus can't be used for gases. I've looked through
all my college and hs texts and have found nothing more
detailed. Anyone know the answer or who to contact to get
more info? TIA, Jason
Jason (and Kim and Jacob) Powell Kenosha, WI Our Webpage:
http://www2.wi.net/~fizzx/ ==========================
Physics Dept ZionBenton HS Zion, IL
========================== '96 Red Miata[PEP]...FIZZX 1
Windy City Miata Club=>
http://www.mcs.com/~hal109/windy_city.html
========================== "...the truth the symbol of a
dove, will unmask the maker of your plans..." King's X -
Out of the Silent Planet

As I remember it, the pressure in an isothermal atmosphere
varies as a negative exponential with altitude. It goes
something like:

P = P0*exp(-Mgh/RT)

where P0 is the pressure at ground level, M is the mass of
a mole of the gas ( I presume you need a weighted average
of diatomic oxygen and diatomic nitrogen), g is the
acceleration due to gravity, h is the altitude, R is the
gas constant per mole, and T is the absolute temperature.
Note that the atmosphere is not isothermal so that we need
not expect perfect accuracy from this model. WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

Neils Bohr